Speed Up Your Soloing. Part I: Warm Up And Synchronisation Excercises

Posted by E_FRIZ4L on Thursday, February 19, 2009

If you listen to guitar players like Eddie van Halen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen, you can often hear these guys playing very fast. Some of you will have wondered how they do that. The answer is very easy: they just practiced for years.

1. Warm Up

If you want to become as fast as the "Speed Kings", you should start with warmup exercises. Here are a few.


I. Position
E-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-I
B---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------I
G-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------I
D-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------I
A---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------I
E-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------I


E-----------------------------------------1-3-4-2-I
B---------------------------------1-3-4-2---------I
G-------------------------1-3-4-2-----------------I
D-----------------1-3-4-2-------------------------I
A---------1-3-4-2---------------------------------I
E-1-3-4-2-----------------------------------------I

Important: Use alternate picking here (Down-Up-Down-Up). Try other variations.
Practice backwards, too. (4321)

2. Synchronisation

Synchronisation means improving the coorperation of your picking and fretting hand. This is very important if you want to be fast at picking licks. Here are some synchronisation excercises:


n=downstroke v=upstroke

n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v
E-----------------------------------------------------------------I
B-----------------------------------------------------------------I
G-----------------------------------------------------------------I
D-----------------------------------------------1-----1-2---1-2-3-I
A---------------1-----1-2-------1-1-2-3-4-2-3-4---3-4-----4-------I
E-1-2-3-4-2-3-4---3-4-----2-3-4-----------------------------------I


n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v n v
E-4-3-2-1-3-2-1---2-1-----1---------------------------------------I
B---------------4-----4-3---4-3-2-4-3-2-1-3-2-1---2-1-----1-------I
G-----------------------------------------------4-----4-3---4-3-2-I
D-----------------------------------------------------------------I
A-----------------------------------------------------------------I
E-----------------------------------------------------------------I

Practice these excercises up and down over all six strings. Also try them in different positions. Here's another good exercise. It's from the Deep Purple song "Into the fire". At the end of the guitar solo, Ritchie Blackmore plays this.

e=8th note er=8th rest


e e e e e e e e er e e e e e e e
E-----------------I------------------I Use alternate picking.
B-----------------I------------------I
G-------------3-4-I------------------I
D-----3-4---------I--------------0-1-I
A-1-2-----1-2-----I----0-1-2-3-4-----I
E-----------------I------------------I
I. Position


{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment